Monday, March 26, 2012

Review: A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink

Even angels make mistakes in this page-turning epic romance When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world's past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel. Michelle Zink masterfully weaves historical fantasy with paranormal romance to create a gripping tale of love and betrayal.




Publisher: Dial Books
Published: 20 March 2012
Format: Hardback 448 pages

I don't even know where to begin with this book.  Even after sitting for a day looking over notes and trying to figure out what to tell you guys I can still mostly come up with WOW!  I am at a loss for words really .  Michelle has created an enchanting and exhilarating read.  Once you start there is no going back and every page will just pull you further into the story and a new world.  The characters are vivid, enchanting and you will feel the need to know them and want to learn more to be closer to them.  There is a slight Steampunk feel to this book and I love that!! I also love that it doesn't take over the book but enhances it.  I wish so much that I could tell you more with spoiling it for you all and will do my best to keep it as spoiler free for you as possible.
 
  The protagonist Helen is probably one of my favorite kick butt females EVER.  Loosing her parents and the life she knew was only the end of what she knew and the door into the unknown future for her.  In the face of danger she may start to loose composure but has no problem pulling it back together and getting what needs to be done, done.  This really helps when she has to escape her burning down home and find her way to Griffin and Darius Channing.  It is only here that she bit by bit learns what she really is and moment she learns what her true destiny is Helen really does step it up.  What she felt was an isolated life has actually trained her to be what she was to become.  There is no doubt in my mind and never was that Helen was going to be what she was supposed to be.  Even when she was distracted by Griffin and Raum (I mean I can't blame her) she was trying to figure out what she was supposed to be doing. 
 
  Griffin and Darius Channing are quite remarkable brothers and are not to be over looked in this book.  Darius is the older brother and is nothing if not stubborn and strong.  You can't help smile at his smart arse remarks when it comes to all things Helen.  He does not take it easy on her just because she is younger or because she lives what him and his brother went through more freshly than him.  However this is a massive advantage that Helen doesn't really know she has because even if Griffin cares for her a little tough lovin' is what she needs to be able to make it.  Darius knows this (well that and he just seems bothered by her).  Though Darius is more of the type of character that I am normally drawn to and favour I was surprised at how I came to love him but not in the way I thought I would.  Would I want him with Helen... NO.  Would I want him with me... YES.  However if I am honest with myself Anna is his match and it totally works :)
 
  Griffin... Mmmmm Griffin.... Well with that a little out of my system Griffin is such an awesome match for Helen (even if I do want him for myself).  He from the get go seems to care for her.  Even before he truly knows her or who she is there is a soft spot for Helen in Griffin's heart.  Out of the two brothers he is the more flexible and understanding one.  When it comes to Helen he is nothing but affectionate and the few times he gets upset with her it doesn't take much to bring him around and back to her.  When it comes down to it Griffin is tough and can kick some serious butt, but for the most part his main concern is protecting Helen and nothing else.  Griffin is the one that I believe Helen belongs with 100%.

  Raum is not really a good guy nor is her really a bad guy.  Well I guess he's kind of the bad guy but it's not like he really wanted to be the bad guy.  Raum comes from a hard childhood and doesn't have much left for him.  When he comes back to life in this book you find out that he has a history with Helen although neither of them realize it when everything starts happening.  When the realization comes it's like everything changes.  Raum is not immune to Helen or her kindness any more than Griffin is but their is a much more difficult and complex relationship.  I really do love Griffin but that is for Helen.  I would be lying to you if I said that I had started out with the most affections towards Raum because I hadn't.  However with time to reflect I adore Raum on an entirely different level.  With what he went through and who he became in the end you can't help but adore him.  Given the choice I now stand with Raum.

  The setting in Victorian London is wonderful!  Michelle did such a wonderful job in making the world come to life and then added a very slight steam punk edge to it.  I say very slight because to me wasn't really a big part of the book just a few minor things that gave it a bit of the twist.  I loved each time a new setting came up, as you learned more about the world and got a feel for the different areas. This is a seriously unique world that has been created and you will wish that you could set foot in it, even for just a moment.

  I can't say I had any problems with this book at all.  The pacing was wonderful and with every page turned I just fell more in love.  There was action right from the first chapter and you weren't left wondering when the story was going to start. To me there wasn't a dull moment, every moment that they were not fighting to save themselves, there was some form of action going on.  Not the physical kind but sometimes emotional and psychological kind.  The characters were well developed and really came alive and I can't help but hope that we get more of them soon. Overall  Michelle Zink has created a captivating and tantalizing read that you wont want to put down.


Normally this is where I put my rating out of 5.  So where is it you may ask.
To be honest I couldn't get over how much I loved this book even after all of
hype surrounding its release.  Normally I end up enjoying the book but let down
because it wasn't what I had hoped.  HOWEVER this book has exceeded my expectations!
So I would like you to leave this page knowing that I feel this book deserves more than a
5/5 & go forth and buy it!!!

You can purchase this book from any of the following places:

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I just got my copy and can't wait to get to it.

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really need to read this book, it sounds awesome! I should probably read other books too lol. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reckon I should take another shot at this one. I had a copy of it a while back from the library and I tried. HARD. But I just couldn't get into it. It was very slow moving and I couldn't connect with the characters. I think I may have been having a bad day or two I think. I will try again, I think!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...