Thursday, June 14, 2012

*REVIEW* DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.
********

  Where do I start with this review.  Honestly I am ashamed with myself that I hadn't picked it up until now!  This book is 487 pages of pure awesome that I finished in well under a day!! Once I started it was so hard to stop.  At one point I had to put it down and the entire time all I did was run through different scenarios on what could happen next.  Dystopian is one of my favorite genres right now and this book is a prime example of why!  I love the different factions and the reasons given for everything being divided.  I am not saying it's right but I get it!

  Beatrice aka Tris is awesome.  She is a Abnegation born girl and was raised to be selfless but is that who she really is?  When her testing comes up with more than one choice her life gets a lot harder than she thought it would be. Once she makes her choice and moves toward her new life she finds that it was a harder choice than she could ever imagine. As she moves through her training she wonders if she made the right choice and if what she is doing is really right.  This is exactly why I love Tris so much.  You don't make a choice that shapes your entire life without pausing every now and again to wonder "what if?"  

  It's not just Tris that I loved though.  There is so many well defined and unique characters that you really feel like you know them all.  I am not saying you will know every person that says two words but you get a feel for all of the immediate and sub characters.   There is just such a great description and detail into each persons individuality that everyone kind of comes to life.  To be honest the entire book is like that.  The future Chicago, the way things are run and the people in it are all so well written that you feel it is real.


  The other awesome thing in this book is that the romance didn't take over.  I do love a good romance but I find that they dominate the story too often, taking away from everything else.  Here the romance took a back seat to everything else.  I am not saying that it wasn't there because it was but Tris just had so much more going on in her life.  What does go on between her and her interest feels right.  It's not rushed or fake but something that two people could really develop.


  There is really so much more I want to say about this book but I am seriously afraid of saying something that would spoil it for you.  I could probably write a review so long no one would read it, so keeping it short seems best.  This was honestly 487 pages of pure bliss.  There was not one single moment that I did not enjoy.  Veronica Roth's writing is brilliant and breath taking.  She takes you from where you are into a futuristic and highly possible world.  I love dystopian books and this one was the perfect example of why.  I would recommend this books to everyone!!!  

  

  

4 comments:

  1. I really like this review!!
    This is seriously one of the greatest books ever! Loved it. Can't wait for the third book ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favourite 2012 books. It's another reason why I love dystopia! I loved the unique characters, the amazing concept and all the action! Insurgent was amazing too. Can't wait for the third book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this book so bad! I didn't even find out about it until a few months ago. It's definitely on my 2013 TBR list :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished this book, I've only really gotten into dystopia in the past year. I quite enjoyed it but there are other books on this genre that I have enjoyed more. I will read the next book and see if I will stick with this series

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...