Monday, August 19, 2013

**REVIEW** False Memory by Dan Krokos



Miranda wakes up alone on a park bench with no memory. In her panic, she releases a mysterious energy that incites pure terror in everyone around her. Except Peter, a boy who isn’t at all surprised by Miranda’s shocking ability.

Left with no choice but to trust this stranger, Miranda discovers she was trained to be a weapon and is part of an elite force of genetically-altered teens who possess flawless combat skills and powers strong enough to destroy a city. But adjusting to her old life isn’t easy—especially with Noah, the boyfriend she can’t remember loving.

Then Miranda uncovers a dark truth that sets her team on the run. Suddenly her past doesn’t seem to matter... when there may not be a future.

Dan Krokos’ debut is a tour-de-force of non-stop action that will leave readers begging for the next book in this bold and powerful new series.

Release Date:  August 14, 2013
Published By:  Hyperion
Review Copy: Hardcover, 336 pages
*Purchased


Review

  The possibility of my memory/memories not actually being mine terrifies me.  Can you imagine believing something is yours only to find out that it is someone elses?  Someone that was once you and yet not you all at the same time.  Admittedly to start I didn't understand because well Miranda had no memory but is that not just a terrifying?  Though the read didn't creep me out (it's not meant to but the entire you but not you thing *shivers*) it did keep me completely involved and on the edge of my seat at times.  There is so much that I wish to tell you in this review but will be careful because I have no desire to spoil this great read for you.

  To be honest I was not really sure what this book would be categorized as right from the start.  I had never looked it up on Goodreads and though the cover and the description suggested a possible dystopian.  Even after reading and knowing it is anything but a dystopian (I'm more than okay with this) I am hesitant to even class it as a Sci-Fi.  That is such a strong label and one that many shy away from, yet that is what I think best describes this one.  Though it is in this indecisive feeling that I get when trying to place the book in a category that I believe this author has created a completely unique plot.  The action that seems to be around every corner is plausible and I can't imagine anyone being able to become board or disconnected with this one.

  Miranda is amazing.  Though I would give almost anything to never have to be in her shoes, she was easy to like and even in her memory forgotten state, easy to like.  There is absolutely nothing weak about her and she doesn't just accept everything that she is told.  It drives me up the walls when characters just believe things because they think they should and never ask a single question.  No, Miranda is nothing like that she has a mind of her own and darn well uses it.  Even as memories seem to surface she refuses to just fall into them because with everything that has happened she is no longer the girl of her memories but someone new and different.  This did surprise me at first but only proved to solidify the respect I had for her in the end, especially after she found out the truth that many of the people she knew didn't even know.

  I would like to say there isn't a love triangle but there kind of is.  Before you brush the book off completely hear me out...  If you lost your memories and they came to you in flashes telling you that you loved someone before you lost it all could you completely brush it off?  Then again, now that your heart is telling you that you feel for the other guy you supposedly have grown up with could you brush that off?  Peter and Noah were very worthy in their own way of the attention but I will admit that even Miranda had problems with the ghost memories that told her she loved Noah.  It was kind of part of her past and who she was, not what she wanted now and it is clear that the only reason she has trouble is because of the memories surfacing slowly.  She does make her choice though and this was not a triangle that was hard to navigate or something that dominated the story and ruined it, I personally enjoyed it.

  Finishing this one I am glad that I have the second one in my hands and am more than ready to read it.  Though I did hold off for this moment, I believe that I would have been able to wait because the ending was not a pull my eyeballs out, screaming kind of ending.  The ending tied up this book but left things open for the second installment.   Honestly I think that I could recommend this to just about anyone that likes YA reads and I hope that you guys won't hesitate to pick it up!!

Quotes
  I stand facing away from him, hands on my hips, that same breeze ruffling the fine hair on my arms.  It doesn't make sense.  I saw the panic in the mall.  On a large scale?  Death and bloodshed.

  Bullets and bombs are the alternative to my power.

  Which is worse?

Maybe one day I can forgive him, but all chance of that goes out the window if he claims he did it for love.  If you love someone, the idea is that you respect them enough to trust them.  Not take away their freedom. Their life.

  I sit at the edge of the bed and almost laugh.  Pretty sure I was about to kiss him.  Yeah, I was.  Maybe he saved us both from that.  I rub my gritty palms over my face.  "Get a grip, Miranda," I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...